First Day of Practice InformationWednesday, July 26 2017 - First Day of Practice (8 AM)
FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE INFORMATION
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 9th
Athletes and parents:
We want to take this time to provide you with what is essentially a check list for the first day of practice. The first day of practice will be held on Wednesday, August 9th, at 8:00 am. We'll meet by the stone benches at WHS, which are right by the entrance to the athletic complex.
Athletes, you should be continuing to run on your own, or with your teammates, over the next couple weeks before practice begins! Do not let what you have built up this summer go to waste!
Here are some things that should be taken care of before an athlete can begin practice on Wednesday, August 12 as well as a couple of other pieces of information:
Additionally, all varsity runners will be expected to attend an afternoon practice session at 3:00 pm.
To ensure that your athlete is able to practice, there are some important things that need to be taken care of:
- Physicals: Your athlete will NOT be allowed to practice if they do not have a physical that is up to date. Please send a copy of your athlete’s physical with them to our first practice on August 9th.
Sports physicals are acceptable. You can get one at a nearby Walgreens or CVS for less than $50. Freshmen, however, are required by state law to have a complete physical done before they enter the 9th grade.
Athletes must bring a hard copy of their completed physical (or sports physical) to give to a coach at practice on Wednesday, August 9th at 8:00 am! If we do not have an athlete's updated physical form in our hands on August 9th at 8:00 am, we will send athletes home.
- Online registration: Once again, CUSD 201 is using 8to18 for its online registration.
The website can be found by typing in this link: www.il.8to18.com/westmont. Parents of returning athletes should have done this in the past couple of years, and can register their athletes again using the account they have used in the past.
Parents who have athletes entering Westmont High School for the first time should sign up for a new account. Remember your username and password as you will continue to use this website in the future.
All parents are asked to sign up their athletes for all sports and activities that they will be participating in over the course of the 2017-18 school year. This way, you will not have to spend time registering your athletes for winter and spring sports later in the school year.
- Athletic fees: The athletic fee for this year is $95. Checks should be made payable to Westmont High School. Your athlete can give your check(s) to a coach or you can pay online through Skyward if you did not already do so during registration.
- Mandatory Parent Meeting: The mandatory Fall Sports Parent Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 10th at 6:30 pm in the Westmont High School Auditorium. At least one parent should attend this important meeting. The meeting will begin with a general session in the auditorium, after which each sport or activity will break out into individual meetings. We will cover a variety of topics in our breakout session. Please be sure to attend this important meeting. Your athlete is not required to attend this meeting with you.
- Contact Information: We are asking you to provide us with contact information for the season. There is a page attached with the letter that was sent to you and your athlete. Please fill this out and send it with your athlete to practice on August 9th.
Here is some additional information to get ready for the season:
Please click the link above to download our tentative team calendar for the season. Changes are likely to this calendar as the season goes on. Be sure to keep checking back to our team website for updates on our calendar.
- Shoes and spikes
This would be the perfect time to invest in a new pair of shoes! There are many discounts on offer for runners. You can expect to spend between $60 to $90 (sometimes more) for a good pair of running shoes that will last you through the entire season of training and workouts, which ends in the first week of November.
If you continue on with track and field in the spring, you'll need to replace your shoes to prevent injuries early on in January and February.
Serious athletes may also want to invest in a pair of racing spikes for meets. These spikes can last multiple seasons.